Sleep Disorders: Causes, Treatments and Self Help
To fall asleep badly, not to sleep, to snore, tingle and tingle with the pricking of the legs, to leave several times a day – sleep problems have many faces and many reasons
Lack of sleep (insomnia) – what is it?
- Definition: at least three times a week for a period of one to three months may be insomnia and / or insomnia or early morning awakenings (according to ICD-10, ICSD-3)
- The sleep disorders are not caused by other physical or mental disorders.
- Consequences: Unsatisfactory duration or quality of sleep affects health and performance during the day. This can lead to considerable suffering.
- Victims: about six percent of the population.
- Diagnosis: consultation with a doctor, sleep questionnaires, sleep diary for 14 days, if necessary, actometry (measurement of movements, resting and activity profile during the day and at night for 14 days) and additional examinations if necessary.
- Course: Insomnia can occur acutely and subside under certain conditions (disadaptation on the physical, mental and psychological level), but can also become chronic.
- Therapy: self-help measures such as a healthy lifestyle and sleep-promoting behavior (“rest”); sleep duration control initiated by a physician / therapist (controlled sleep stimulation and sleep restriction), cognitive behavioral therapy . If necessary, short-term medical prescription of sleeping pills, possibly supporting herbal medicines.
What a sufficient sleep brings us all the benefits, scientists are constantly collecting new ideas:
Learning in sleep – because our brain not only creates mental order at night, but also processes the freshly taken more intensively.
Slimming in your sleep – if you do not sleep too little and not too much, you will lose weight more easily. Staying young and beautiful while sleeping – our grandmothers already knew that.
And: To mental and physical fitness come as a plus of good sleep a strengthened immune system, mental balance, better organ and metabolic functions.
Explanation video: Sleep well – what’s right and what are myths?
One or the other restless night – everyone knows that
Stress, job hassles, private problems, travel fever, joyful anticipation of an important event last into the night. Even a cold or an itchy rash let us sleep badly again and again.
It can simply be the old, out-of-date mattress or the new street lamp in front of the bedroom window, which makes for nocturnal restlessness.
The infection heals, even with the help of sleep, the excitement subsides, a new bed pad relieves the back.
Then many find their way back to their usual sleeping rhythm . However, it is very different from person to person. Just as there are early risers and night people, so is the amount of sleep that someone needs to be fit during the day, individually different.
Restful sleep: neither too little nor too much – and good by Sleeping Pills
Well and good, but not for us, in the face of such reports, about a third of Germans will say. They suffer from sleep problems and just want to correct once again sleep : sleep through Not too little and not too much, somewhere around seven hours maybe, fall asleep without interruptions, wake up rested in the morning, focused, active and cheerful make their day.
Too many people, however, take their lack of sleep as given or try to deal with sleeping pills themselves – often without lasting success or with only getting worse sleep problems. Because there are many different causes for sleep disorders. That’s why it’s important to get to the bottom of this. With the right diagnosis, effective therapies can usually be found.
The most common sleep problem at all: too little or bad sleep
Most people who complain of poor sleep suffer from insomnia , insomnia characterized by (individualized) lack of sleep. You have difficulty falling asleep and / or wake up one or more times at night. Then they are sometimes awake for a long time. Others sleep soundly, but then get restless early in the morning and can no longer sleep.
Persistently interrupted or shortened nights can be the expression of a so-called secondary insomnia, which has concrete causes. Wrong sleeping habits and external disturbing factors are the trigger. Often there are also physical, neurological or mental illnesses behind it. The sleep disorder is once a symptom of certain diseases.
On the other hand, lack of sleep can also contribute to their development, such as hypertension or depression . Only in rare cases it is impossible to find the causes of insomnia (primary insomnia). However, medical experts note that anxiety associated with sleep often leads to sleep disturbance.
Sleeping Pills: Do not take lightly.
Restless sleep not only affects daily life, but also can lead to serious health problems: a vicious circle can occur (see Animated Drawing). Important: make a “common cause” with your doctor and collect evil in the Sleeping Pills.